Sunday, September 18, 2005

"Mom, want a go at my game?"

Judy handed me her digital game and asked me if I wanted to have a go. Funny. She also refers to an eraser as a rubba. I have picked up a few phrases myself. The funny thing about language is the variations in words from country to country. It never ceases to amaze me how varied ideas, opinions, and views are from these countries. Here are some language differences that make me chuckle.

American------------------Canadian--------------------Australian

Huh -----------------------Eh--------------------------- royt (right)
Restroom------------------Bathroom--------------------Loo or Toilet
Trash----------------------garbage---------------------- rubbish
snack ----------------------snack------------------------Tea
dump ----------------------land fill or dump--------------tip
trash can--------------------garbage----------------rubbish been (bin)
awesome/cool----------reeely good (really good)-----bloomin' gorgeous
stormy-------------------- horizontal flying ice balls------rather ordinary
farmed salmon----------enviromental hazard---------wild Tasmanian salmon

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Financial transparency gets personal
Taking openly about personal finances may be taboo, but some bloggers are putting their most intimate financial details - down to the very last dollar NY TIMES NEWS SERVICE , NEW YORK Sunday, Sep 18, 2005,Page ...
See if you can visit my site also maybe you will find some valuable information Home based business work from home

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog at your own risk, experts say
ADVICE: Remember that current or prospective employers can see what is being said about them.
Great Blog! I have added it to my list, and I will check back often.
Best Wishes
Susan
plasterer

10:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Wilson said...

Looks like you are going to have to put on the word identifier to get these nasty Anonymous's off. Boy, they bug me. Hope you are having a great time. Are the kids in school still. When do they finish. Take care, love talking to you,even if it is 1/2 way around the world. Too bad we didn't get to spend more time together before you left. Oh well, something to look forward to when you get back.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I laughed so hard at these, tea almost came out of my nose.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home