Thursday, May 04, 2006

Driving Test At 42???

I have held a drivers license since the age of 16, typical of most N.American youth. With the exception of an occasional speeder my record has been clean. To be quite frank...my driving capabilities are exceptional. I can drive with coffee in hand, cell phone, applying mascara, reciting a children's book while the kids followed along. I am a multitasking queen.

Tasmanian law requires residence of 3 or more months to hold a Tasmanian license. So off I went however only because my Canadian license was about to expire.

I failed the written part twice. Ouch! The testing format was computerized. What happened to the written form of yesteryear? I had to remember that right-away and give-way are opposites. The entire experience was a bit humiliating.

During the driving test I was nervous. The instructor was very sweet but serious. He chatted in a friendly manner the entire test! I was wishing he would have shut up feeling the need to concentrate. Was he going to fail me for releasing the hand break before putting the car in gear. I drove on like Driving Miss Daisy with both hands on the wheel despite his incessant blablablablabla .
I had to parallel park (reverse park in Aussie terms), U turn, angle park, negotiate the dreaded round-a-bouts with visions of Chevy Chase in European Vacation. I was terrified I was going to hit the wipers instead of the turn signal.

When we pulled into the car park he pulled out the testing evaluation forms and made a few erratic movements with a pen. I practiced my rhythmic breathing. "Did I pass?"................................................."Right mate, take this and get your photo".

Phhheewww....what a relief.

10 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Congratulations! I hate those tests!! Driving tests are worse than going to the dentist

12:34 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I can attest to your driving prowness. I've been a passenger many times with you friend and will never forget the time you saved our lives with your quick thinking. Whew!

BTW-I was at a party last night....at your old house. It was really weird and it made me sad.

3:37 AM  
Blogger micki said...

What a story!! I'm letting out a sigh of relief for you over here, too.

3:00 PM  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

A good posting Wendy -----congratulations !! .....but please .......no more driving with coffee in hand, cell phone, applying mascara, reciting a children's book while the kids followed along.

Your are a multitasking queen, but not on the roads Wendy .....you and your family and hubby too precious to risk that .......... a stunt you were not expecting!!...you never know when some idiot will come around the corner.....then you need 2 hands on the wheel and attention focused .....even on Tasssies quieter roads !!

Best wishes

3:16 PM  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Lindsey- Your right. I can't multitask here. The whole driving on the right side of the road thing has required the utmost of my conentration. What a challenge that has been.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Congratulations. I know how it feels. I had to take a Canadian driving test after driving in Australia for years. But I failed the Canadian test the first time - didn't stop at a stop sign for three seconds - ridiculous Canadian rules.....

11:54 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Boy am I glad we just need to do the written test to get our NZ lisences! I'm going to go study right now.

9:52 PM  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Tanya-The driving instructor couldn't figure out why it took me so long to go through the give ways. You solved it. It is my canadian background.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri said...

Wendy, this brought back vivid humiliating memories of when I had to do the same thing over here in the US after having driven for 8 years. But...I failed!! I went through an OVERHEAD red light! Most of them on the little back streets were on posts and I missed this one entirely. Like you, I was very nervous and he was a serious guy! I was so embarrassed to tell my husband that I failed..erk! I did pass the next time, but I was VERY nervous! I hate driving tests!! Glad you passed yours :)

2:10 AM  
Blogger Kerri said...

I should clarify that I drove first for 8 yrs in Australia..then had get a US license after moving to this country.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home